This page is part of Family history documents: Ruth Schwartz & family.
-- Margaret Fulford
BLANCHE SCHWARTZ - DEATH - AGE 1 - MAY 2, 1904 - BROOKLYN
- Blanch (Blanche?) was the third child of Benjamin Schwartz and Julia (Weiss) Schwartz. She was Ruth's older sister, who died about eight years before Ruth was born.
- Her name is spelled "Blanche" in Gladys (Schwartz) Kaminsky's 1980 family tree but is spelled "Blanch" in this document.
- Document received from the New York City Deptartment of Records, March 2016.
- Here's a copy of the (modern) transcription copied from ancestry.ca
New York, New York, Death Index, 1862-1948
Name: Blanch Schwartz
Birth Year: abt 1903
Death Date: 2 May 1904
Death Place: Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number: 9402
- Additional information on the certificate:
- Age: 1 year, 2 months, 12 days. [This implies her date of birth was Feb. 20, 1903. That date of birth matches the date in Gladys (Schwartz) Kaminsky's family tree exactly.]
- She died around 5 p.m. on May 2, 1904.
- Cause of death: Acute Diphtheritis Laryngitis; Duration: 4 days; Contributory: Asphyxia
- Place of death: 178 Huron St., Brooklyn. See this address today in Google Maps.
- Character of premises: Tenement-house
- Beneath the address it says "17"; perhaps this was the apartment number?
- Father's Name: Benj Schwartz
- Mother's Name: Julies Weiss
- Father's Birthplace: Hungarian
- Mother's Birthplace: Hungarian
- Place of Burial: Washington Cem. See this cemetery today in Google Maps.
- Diphtheria (of which laryngeal diphtheria is one type) is a bacterial infection which used to be a major cause of death among children; it is now rare in North America due to widespread vaccination.